Skip to main content

There is hope - short story


I am tired; I am fed up John. 
The whole day I was running around. Starting from Gethsamene. Previous night also I couldn't sleep. But if at all I had known what is our plight twenty four hours down the line, I would have been awake to sit and pray. If at all I knew my master was perspiring blood there in agony, I would have rushed to help. Let my sleepiness and laziness be doomed, Peter wailed. 
John said, We all have failed him, Peter. None of us were with him when it was expected of us. 
James pitched in, Ah! At least you were there at the foot of the cross, John. At least the Rabbi could see you being entrusted with his mother. I do not know how on earth she is surviving. The trauma that she had to go through in her life, no body can even dream of it. 
Simon says, (after all he was a Zealot) If at all that traitor, Judas was alive, I would have beaten him to death. How could he do this to him, to us? What wrong did Jesus do to him? Even the money purse was with him. How could he? 
Peter continues to sob as he says, I am not different Simon. I denied knowing him, not once, not twice, but thrice. 
Philip rises up to the occasion, We all ran away from him. Not just you Peter. Not Judas alone. We all have deserted him. When our master was striving for life, writhing in pain and being drained of blood. We are all pathetic, like Judas we all have sinned. 
Simon mellows down, Yes it's true. I have failed him. 
Thomas intrudes. Now what do we do? What is our future. Now that the story of the master is over, they will be after us now. 
Peter mumbles in grief, I will go fishing. 
Philip continues, See Thomas, We all are preoccupied with us, our future, our life. Peter was the one who said, he will go to Jerusalem to die. I echoed it. Thomas you also once said. But we all ran away. 

Knock, knock. 
All twenty eyes were startled. Heads turned to the door. Sweat dripping down their forehead. Who is it? Nathanael musters up strength. 
Soft voice replies, it's me Andrew. 
The door is opened and Andrew, brother of Simon Peter, walks in with another man. Andrew always brings new new people. But was this the time for another session? The teacher is also dead and gone. And this face is familiar, but they couldn't recognize him in the low light. It's already midnight and they have kept the flames low. But he was shabby, he clothes were all torn, hair and beard unkempt. 

Andrew looks at the perplexed faces and explains. Confused? Afraid? 
I was too as I was walking down the road to Emmaus, hoping that no one would recognize me. In that wilderness area I heard someone wailing loudly. Peter wipes his tears and listens intently as a child. 
I was skeptical about the situation. But then I heard my master's voice sayin, go. I tried to argue with all sorts of reasoning. But the voice was clear. I have come to the weak and heavy laden. Go. 
Slowly and fearfully I walked towards the direction of the wailings. All I could see in the dim light was a man so restless. Looking above and crying so loud. Beating his breasts, tearing his clothes, ripping down his hair, rolling up and down in the ground. Putting dirt on himself, crying aloud, For me, for me. 
I rushed to him. He saw me, hugged my legs and continued, For me, for me. 
This man died for me, instead of me. I was to be crucified. But he died in my place. 
I asked. Who? Who are you. 
Oh! I am a nobody. Worthless. He died for me. Instead of me he died on the cross. He continued to sob. I realised he was slowly setlling. I continued to pat his back. I continue to say. It is fine. 
He settled himself and gained much strength. Tears still rolled down his cheeks as he said something which shocked me from head to toe. All my hair stood up on its toes. 
I am Barabbas. 

All ten stood up with anger and rage and fear. 
Barabbas. The one criminal. The one whose place my master died. All because of him. How could Andrew bring him to the group. All were ready to bash him to death. At once they all forgot they deserting him was far more worse than Barabbas' sin. 

Matthias had been following Andrew and Barabbas from the road to Emmaus and he came in too into the upper room. Matthias was listening to all Andrew had to say. He was not supposed to speak. Young as he is. Not in the special group of twelve. But now he felt the urge to speak. The voice of the master was so strong inside him. 

Dear brothers. Am I allowed to speak. If I don't speak, I fear something untoward would happen. We fail to realize we are equally sinful. And none of our sins are washed clean. Our master said about his death before hand. And we failed to believe. Now when Barabbas says it was for him and instead of him that Jeshua died, I realize the truth, it was for me and you and each one of us the master died. And he has become the ultimate sacrifice, for he knew no sin. The Blameless, blemishless lamb. 

He died for me. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thresh

Micah:4:12 That He is gathering them together To be beaten up and trampled Like sheaved of grain on a threshing floor.  The Lord gathers together to beat and trample. Oh! Isn't it mean? How can a loving God allow this?  He is supposed to be our fortress and our refuge. He is expected to protect. He should in fact gather to bless. Not to trample. Not to beat up.  Oh! I am bleeding. Doesn't He see it? My tears have gone waste?  The query that came to the bard's mind, as he was pondering whether God is good or cruel, a blessing God or a naive entity is this - What is blessing? How do you define blessing?  Very often the word blessing is linked to - all would go well.  Well that is true in one angle. But the problem is man is tuned to think only finitely. All would definitely go well - for sure. God speaks about eternity. Not about the riches we inherit. But about character. About transforming into the image of Christ. About abundant life.  And this threshing is the

Name

But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved Joel:2:32 In His name there is salvation. And if you call on His name you will be saved for sure.  Jesus.  Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end.  In Him and through Him and for Him everything was created.  Son of God.  Son of David.  Root of Jesse.  Lion of Judah. The Lamb who was slain.  In His name there is freedom. In His name there is deliverance.  Why?  Because He alone has done the redemptive act on the cross. No other name could do that. Sinless perfect lamb of God became a sin offering instead of me.  He alone is worthy to do that. Therefore His name frees. His name delivers. His name saves. Jesus.  Image credit:   https://www.photoland.in/product/wood-arts/wooden-name-plate/personalized-name-board-name-plate-wooden-engraved-name-plate-design-10/

The Holy Temple

Micah:1:5 Where is the center of idolatory on Judah?  In Jerusalem; it's capital.  The very place which was supposed to be kept sacred and holy, has now been defiled and become the very center of desecration. Fully polluted and corrupted. Why should He not be wrathful?  The heart of holiness; which was supposed to be the throne of the most High God with all His richness and glory has been befouled and debased.  The very heart dear bard - which is supposed to be the temple of the most Holy God, what all do you entertain? Confines the king to a corner in your quiet times and church and bible study. As if you give charity and satisfy Him and then you do whatever you want, the rest of the time.  You think you can fool around with His holiness? This is one chant that goes up in heaven for eternity - Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty. Oh! Don't nullify it with your fancies.  He is serious about His holiness. And that is why sin had to be tackled with. Not just brushed

Keep your promise forever

Ps:146:6 He keeps every promise forever.  Everyone loves promises. It is even more beautiful when the promise is fulfilled.  God is a God of promises and He is faithful. What He promises He always fulfills. Not even one goes wayward.  There is no doubt about the general promises He makes in the Bible. One by one we see them fulfilled through the story of Israel and early church.  There are enough and more personal promises which are staring at you face on. He is faithful to fulfill all of them too forever. It is upto us to believe and live a peaceful life trusting in the One who called us. Rather than like a high tension wire, ready to snap.  Can we believe - He will take care. He is enough. He is sufficient. He is faithful. He never changes. He will not sleep nor will He slumber. He keeps His promises forever. Amen.  Image credit:  https://everydaypower.com/promise-quotes/

Delight

Ps:147:11 The Lord's delight is in those who fear Him If you delight in Him, He will delight in you. Oh! Is it like tit for tat?  No dear bard! He has already delighted in you. He has loved you while you were still His enemies. You are mine He declares. You are His signet ring, He proclaims.  Not because you fear Him. Not because He foreknew you would fear Him. But because He loves. Hosea was asked to marry a harlot and he continued to love her despite her unfaithfulness. Just like He continues to delight in you oh! Bard despite your persistance and adamancy. Oh! What love. Where else can you find such love.  Image credit:  https://butternutbakeryblog.com/moist-chocolate-cake/

When you don't have anything else to do......

In the fish's belly Jonah was there for three days and three nights. In that dark place, he could only look to God. He could not run away, which he was so specialized in. He couldn't do anything else which he was an expert. He couldn't do anything he wanted to desperately do. All he could do was to sit in God's presence.  Sometimes God places you in circumstances where you can only pray. You can do nothing else. And at that time, please pray. Do not try to do anything else. Even if you do not feel like praying, that is the time when you are supposed to. Helpless as you are, you can open up to your Father. Words do not matter at that time. Even a drop of tear is enough. You might not be a prolific pray-er. But remember the Father is always listening.  Image credit:  https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/man-praying-on-knees

RRRR

Obadiah 20-21 As Edom receives all punishments, Israel is blessed. Israel is chosen to come back from exile. From the ends of the earth, they are called back into God's bosom.  They -  Return Resettle Rescued Rule Not because they repented and came back to the Lord. Even before they repented, He paved the way back. The door was already kept open for coming back. The choice had to be made though for them to actually return, to resettle, to be rescued, to rule. They had to make that choice. Yet the road was already set to accept them back. There was no uncertainty whether God would allow.  The cross has already paved the way, the ship has already been set for return, for bringing them back. But I have to board the ship. If I don't, the loss is all mine. The ship with all its aboard passengers will sail to the  promised shore, for sure.  Jesus is calling- to return, to resettle, to be rescued and to rule. Will you accept?  Image credit:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/cr