Skip to main content

No more questions - short story


Have you ever wondered what I have gone through. You all praise me as the father of faith. It's easy to sit on the other side of the bridge and appreciate the obedience. 
But what I had to go through that night was terrible. 
My own son, promised by my Father, born of my old age, as a relief of all ridicule, even among my household. My wife, poor Sara, what all she had dreamt off. She was always melancholic. But not after Issac came by. I could see the old youth of Sara, chirpy and joyous always but of course tired of age. What would I tell her, when I come back alone. All of them would label me a lunatic. Crazy. Forget about others. How will I live the rest of my old age without my beloved son. With the guilt of killing him with my own hands. Forget about my own self. How will I look into the tender eyes of his and slay his throat. What will he think of me, think of my God? He would feel betrayed, robbed of the chance to live. Will he understand this crazy obedience. 

Why would such a loving Father ask of me such a hideous thing? Am I so unloveable as to make me do this, to live with a life of guilt. I don't understand, giving a promise on one hand, and then taking it away. He knows I love him so much. He kept telling, the one whom you love. Then why this test. 

Questions unanswered, tearstained eyes. Bereft of hope and sleep all night, asking questions. Not able to understand. But still the Lord kept silent. Why Lord? What have I done so wrong to punish me? Talk to me my Abba! Your silence is killing me. 

Sara and Issac are peacefully sleeping, but I can't. I'm frantically running. One side is a God who has called me to love and to reward. On the other side is my family whom I so dearly love. I'm torn into pieces. 

But whatever it is I must muster all my strength to obey. I believe God has a purpose. If He has promised He will fulfil. If He has asked to sacrifice, I will obey. But my questions are unanswered. Do you care Father? 

After a long silence, I heard Him speak finally. Son. There are two points which I want to highlight. Through both I want to answer your querry regarding whether I care. 
Point one. All men and women are my children. When I see them rebel and run away from me to eternal death, my heart burns within me, more than what you are going through. For you it's your choice. Not Isaac's. But in my case, my own children choose to run away from me. Is it not more painful? I understand dear son. I feel for you. 
Point number two. It is linked to the point number one. In order to save all of you from rebelling against me and going to eternal death and damnation, I have a plan, where I am sending my own Son to be a sacrifice willingly. It is for this very purpose I have called you. The sin of the whole world, of the past, present and future will be laid upon Him, in fact it would be laid upon Me. How much I hate and abhor sin, even more I love you all. I don't want you to die and be separated from me. That's why I choose to do this. To kill my own son. So when you say I don't understand, that's a misnomer. I very well understand my son. You are invited to be part of a glorious plan I have in my mind. 

This opened my eyes. This God's love was revealed to me. Pain and love on the same side of the coin. Abhor and care. Grief and anger. Punishment and love. He Himself laying down His life for something which He hates, for someone whom He loves. How much more painful it would be for Him, as compared to my pain. So I will obey. I'm part of God's wonderful plan of redemption. I dont know how I will be of help. But I know He loves me. And so I will obey. 

That's what enabled me to take the decision to sacrifice my own son. You know the rest of the story. How I came to know more of Him, through my obedience. How I came to know of a new facet of His. Jehovah Jireh. Thank you my Father for revealing. Thank you for enabling. Thank you strengthening. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thresh

Micah:4:12 That He is gathering them together To be beaten up and trampled Like sheaved of grain on a threshing floor.  The Lord gathers together to beat and trample. Oh! Isn't it mean? How can a loving God allow this?  He is supposed to be our fortress and our refuge. He is expected to protect. He should in fact gather to bless. Not to trample. Not to beat up.  Oh! I am bleeding. Doesn't He see it? My tears have gone waste?  The query that came to the bard's mind, as he was pondering whether God is good or cruel, a blessing God or a naive entity is this - What is blessing? How do you define blessing?  Very often the word blessing is linked to - all would go well.  Well that is true in one angle. But the problem is man is tuned to think only finitely. All would definitely go well - for sure. God speaks about eternity. Not about the riches we inherit. But about character. About transforming into the image of Christ. About abundant life.  And this threshing is the

Name

But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved Joel:2:32 In His name there is salvation. And if you call on His name you will be saved for sure.  Jesus.  Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end.  In Him and through Him and for Him everything was created.  Son of God.  Son of David.  Root of Jesse.  Lion of Judah. The Lamb who was slain.  In His name there is freedom. In His name there is deliverance.  Why?  Because He alone has done the redemptive act on the cross. No other name could do that. Sinless perfect lamb of God became a sin offering instead of me.  He alone is worthy to do that. Therefore His name frees. His name delivers. His name saves. Jesus.  Image credit:   https://www.photoland.in/product/wood-arts/wooden-name-plate/personalized-name-board-name-plate-wooden-engraved-name-plate-design-10/

The Holy Temple

Micah:1:5 Where is the center of idolatory on Judah?  In Jerusalem; it's capital.  The very place which was supposed to be kept sacred and holy, has now been defiled and become the very center of desecration. Fully polluted and corrupted. Why should He not be wrathful?  The heart of holiness; which was supposed to be the throne of the most High God with all His richness and glory has been befouled and debased.  The very heart dear bard - which is supposed to be the temple of the most Holy God, what all do you entertain? Confines the king to a corner in your quiet times and church and bible study. As if you give charity and satisfy Him and then you do whatever you want, the rest of the time.  You think you can fool around with His holiness? This is one chant that goes up in heaven for eternity - Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty. Oh! Don't nullify it with your fancies.  He is serious about His holiness. And that is why sin had to be tackled with. Not just brushed

Keep your promise forever

Ps:146:6 He keeps every promise forever.  Everyone loves promises. It is even more beautiful when the promise is fulfilled.  God is a God of promises and He is faithful. What He promises He always fulfills. Not even one goes wayward.  There is no doubt about the general promises He makes in the Bible. One by one we see them fulfilled through the story of Israel and early church.  There are enough and more personal promises which are staring at you face on. He is faithful to fulfill all of them too forever. It is upto us to believe and live a peaceful life trusting in the One who called us. Rather than like a high tension wire, ready to snap.  Can we believe - He will take care. He is enough. He is sufficient. He is faithful. He never changes. He will not sleep nor will He slumber. He keeps His promises forever. Amen.  Image credit:  https://everydaypower.com/promise-quotes/

Delight

Ps:147:11 The Lord's delight is in those who fear Him If you delight in Him, He will delight in you. Oh! Is it like tit for tat?  No dear bard! He has already delighted in you. He has loved you while you were still His enemies. You are mine He declares. You are His signet ring, He proclaims.  Not because you fear Him. Not because He foreknew you would fear Him. But because He loves. Hosea was asked to marry a harlot and he continued to love her despite her unfaithfulness. Just like He continues to delight in you oh! Bard despite your persistance and adamancy. Oh! What love. Where else can you find such love.  Image credit:  https://butternutbakeryblog.com/moist-chocolate-cake/

When you don't have anything else to do......

In the fish's belly Jonah was there for three days and three nights. In that dark place, he could only look to God. He could not run away, which he was so specialized in. He couldn't do anything else which he was an expert. He couldn't do anything he wanted to desperately do. All he could do was to sit in God's presence.  Sometimes God places you in circumstances where you can only pray. You can do nothing else. And at that time, please pray. Do not try to do anything else. Even if you do not feel like praying, that is the time when you are supposed to. Helpless as you are, you can open up to your Father. Words do not matter at that time. Even a drop of tear is enough. You might not be a prolific pray-er. But remember the Father is always listening.  Image credit:  https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/man-praying-on-knees

RRRR

Obadiah 20-21 As Edom receives all punishments, Israel is blessed. Israel is chosen to come back from exile. From the ends of the earth, they are called back into God's bosom.  They -  Return Resettle Rescued Rule Not because they repented and came back to the Lord. Even before they repented, He paved the way back. The door was already kept open for coming back. The choice had to be made though for them to actually return, to resettle, to be rescued, to rule. They had to make that choice. Yet the road was already set to accept them back. There was no uncertainty whether God would allow.  The cross has already paved the way, the ship has already been set for return, for bringing them back. But I have to board the ship. If I don't, the loss is all mine. The ship with all its aboard passengers will sail to the  promised shore, for sure.  Jesus is calling- to return, to resettle, to be rescued and to rule. Will you accept?  Image credit:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/cr