Skip to main content

A blind man is about to be healed - a short story


Is he mad? I believed he is a genuine person. I knew him, though from a distance. A brilliant guy. An academician - might not be as brilliant as I was. That is exactly why I could learn under Gamaliel and he under Sheltiel. I was hard working. He was too. He knew more things than an average Israelite. 
Then somehow our paths diverted. I heard that he has become a follower of this blasphemer called Jesus. Now, my blood boils when I hear his name. He claims to be the Messiah himself. But we all know where he is from. He is basically a carpenter from a small town called Nazareth. Who might have learnt a little bit of magic, a little bit of sorcery. A little bit of fraudery too may be. May be he healed a few people. May be he did a few miracles. May be he did things out of divine power. May be he is a prophet from God. And his teachings were also acceptable. But the moment he calls us all sinners and him as God, a Jew cannot listen to it and not do anything. As if he is no sinner. His friends are all sinners. How come? How does he explain that? And when he says he is one with Yahweh. Oh! That is horrendous for me to hear. I need to protect my faith. I need to protect my god. I need to protect my people from any sort of heterodoxy. I couldn't do anything then. I was young. 

But now. Why Stephen, why? Why did you just wander off from the truth. Why did you have to do it? You would have had a brilliant future. May be I would have been a future Gamaliel and you a future Sheltiel. We would have had wonderful arguements with each other in the temples. Why did u have to join this cult which has grown stronger after this man's death. They say he has resurrected. Absurd things they say. And how could a brilliant guy like you believe in these lies. We all know what the Roman soldiers told. It's all based on lies, Stephen. Why do you deliberately believe in lies, knowing it's a lie. 
Look at the audacity with which he speaks. The glory on his face. Brilliantly he narrates the entire story of Israel. He has got the big picture. Oh! Sheltiel has taught you well. 

Wait! did he just accuse all of us that we killed all our prophets. In a way what he said is true. Our ancestors were all stubborn. But what did we do. We are waiting for the Messiah, Stephen. We did not kill anybody. Why are you blaming us. 
And as he looks up he says he sees the Son of man standing on the right side of God. That is blasphemy. He has prooved that he is a follower of the blasphemer himself. No one can see God. He claims to see God. He claims that Jesus is God. Yes. All the teachers are doing the same thing I wanted to do. Let us all close our ears. We can't listen to this atrocity. Go get him. Drag him out of the city. Stone him with the biggest stones that you can find. Jews will not tolerate any such attrocity mo matter how dear a friend he is to me. Stephen has to die. Oh what bright future he had. I pity him. But no. This is not something pardonable. 
Yes sir, give me your coat. I will take care of it. You can stone him. You should stone him. I will take care of your belongings as you crush this blasphemy. I approve. 

But as he leaves his spirit, he kneels down with a smile in his face. How? There is a shine on his face. How? He is praying for us. How? How Stephen how can you do this? I have heard this prayer somewhere.... Lord don't charge them of this sin.. I don't remember where! Has my intelligence failed me for the first time? 
............................................................................. 

Five years have passed since that incident. His smiling face as he breathes his last still lingers around in my mind. Looking up, smiling at someone, he dies. Praying for us who killed him. Praying for me as I approved of his stoning. I still remember, as he was dragged out side the city, as he came near me, he said, "My dear Saul, repent"
I can't forget all those things. 
But the vehemence of crushing the heterodoxy was consuming me. I was not able to listen to all they are saying and not do anything. I am man who is devoted to my God. I cannot stand somebody telling anything against my God. Be it my own family. I will kill. The levitical priests who killed their own families who sinned against God is my true example. And I know God will reward me. And I have been quiet successful as I do this. I was able to convince the authorities about my fervour. And now I'm in charge. Im the usurper now. And I will defend my values. But their is something disturbing in my heart. Can't figure out what. Something unexpected is about to happen I believe. Oh! Stop Saul. Don't think about anything else. You do what you are expected to do in Damascus. 

A bright light..... 
The horse is fearful..... 
Jumps up high.... 
I fall low.... 
Full darkness.... 
Is it an eclipse or something? Just like what happened when they crucified the blasphemer. 
"Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" Such a powerful voice. But I can't see a thing. Ruel, my friend who is it? I don't know Saul, I heard a voice, but don't know from where. 
Ruel, why has it become suddenly dark. No my friend. The sun is bright.... I don't understand what  you are talking? 
"Who are you Lord? "
"I am Jesus whom you persecute! "

Wait! He was dead right? I was risen from the dead. 
How? Do you want to know? 
Yes! 
I will send you a man, dear Saul. You are a chosen instrument to tell about me to the gentiles and to the kings and to the people of Israel. 
You were blind. And you are about to see. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Husband and wife

Unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. 1 Pet:3:4 Though this is told to the wives; it is a very good admonition for all of us. To have a gentle and quiet spirit, is an incomparable unfading inner beauty. The real beauty is not your outwardly appearance. Real beauty is your inner spirit - to be gentle and quiet. Not to be quarrelsome. Not to be picking fights. But to be a peacmaker. especially in your family. V:1. Wives, in the same way, be submissive to your husbands. In which same way? The example is of Jesus. 2:23. When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate, when He suffered He made no threats.  In this same way, wives be submissive to your husbands, no matter how well or bad they treat you. V:7. Husbands in the same way, be considerate, as you live with your wives.  In which same way? The example is again of Jesus. 3:7. Treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life. Like Jesus did to us. ...

Everything we need

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. 2 Pet:1:3 Everything we need for our life in this present world; all our material needs; all our basic needs. And also for godliness; that is to grow in the knowledge of God; to build up in a relationship with God. Everything that you can think of. Everything you can ask for. Everything that you need. Has been given. It is yours for the taking. He will provide. For His name is Jehovah Jireh. Only we have to take it. Only we have to believe it and receive it. Why has He given us this? Is it because of our goodness? Is it because God foresaw our good deeds and therefore He gave it? Not at all. Wretched, poor, blind, naked as we are. He just gave it to us. Essentially for His glory and because He is good. He is good so much so that He reveals Himself to us who do not deserve to know Him. Even when we squander every opportunity. Even ...

One Man, once for all

For Christ died for sins, once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. 1 Pet:3:18 How is one man dying, beneficial for all? Because He is rich in life and righteousness. Unendingly righteous that all unrighteous would be pardoned. He who knew no sin, became sin for us. The Son of God became the wrath of God, so that the wrath of God would be made sons of God. This exchange, this imputation is too good to be true. It is valid for you only if you receive. It has already been done for you, but if you wouldn't receive it is not relevant for you. Dear one, if you are in that borderline, now is the day. Put your trust in Jesus and be saved. Image credit: https://winningwalk.org/read/articles/at-the-foot-of-the-cross

Why don't they react?

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called, so that you may inherit a blessing. 1 Pet:3:9 This is the highlight of true Christianity. Those who have known Christ in person. They beat them, they torture them, ridicule them, put them in prison, for doing good, for starting schools and colleges and hospitals, for bringing them to peace with their Creator God, leading to joy. They persecute them for no valid reason. Yet, you do not see retaliation. You do not see revolt. You do not see any bloodshed or pay back. There is absolute silence while facing persecution. Why? Why do they not react? Why do they keep quiet? Why they do not even defend themselves? Because they have a big Brother who showed them how to do. When persecuted and tortured for no good reason of His, He exuberated that love and peace and joy from His Father, from a world that they look forward unto. They know they are loved. They know these are small in ...

Be a man.

1 Cor:16:13 Be on the alert, stand firm in faith; act like men; be strong. Watch out. Look out. Be on the alert. Stand firm in faith. That is what men do. Be strong. Stay strong. Dwindling in your trust in God is what children do. Act like the man you are. Be a man. Stay strong on your faith. No matter what happens, hold fast to your God. That is mature faith. Do not let go to fear or anxiety. Be strong. Faith is trusting God, the Father despite what the circumstances look like. Knowing fully that He is in control. That He will take care and thats enough. He is enough. Image credit; https://www.freepik.com/premium-photo/hand-holding-fist-symbol-determination_139829368.htm

Humble yourselves in God's hands - a prose

Humble yourselves therefore under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. 1 Pet:5:6 What is there to be proud of What is there to boast When you face with much suffering What is there to retaliate Just keep quiet and humble yourself Under the mighty hands of God He shall lift you up in due time God is on your side, dear one. And if God is on your side, Who can be against you. Who can stand against the Mighty Holy One? If you face undue humiliation If you face undeserved ridicule If you suffer injustice Humble yourselves under the Mighty Hands Of God, and He shall lift you up in due time. For God is on your side. Reacting or retaliating Trying to gain things by might - no, not that Instead humble yourselves in God's hands For that is all you can do and  all you need to do. He shall raise you up in due time. Image courtesy: chatgpt

Authority

Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men. 1 Pet:2:13 Slaves submit yourselves to your masters with all respect not only to those who are good and considerate but also to those who are harsh. 1 Pet:2:18 Submitting to your good and considerate bosses is easy. It is a natural response. It doesn't require an advise or an admonition. However if he/she is a hard taskmaster, you are still asked to submit. Naturally you would submit, but with a grieving, complaining heart, dissatisfied. Yet here the apprisal is to do this submission for the Lord's sake. Thankfully, genuinely. With contentment.  Inorder to be contented, you should enlist the things that you are thankful for. Make a list to praise God for the very things that you are frustrated about. And you will see the Lord's hand written all over it. These sufferings are momentary. He will do all things for good. He will carry it on to completion. He is Sovereign. But our attit...