Skip to main content

He who called will enable - short story


"Though it's drought and famine for long, our species has been blessed with much food. Even meat. We all are having pretty much, enough and more. Every day. We are lucky."
"It is not luck. It is God's provision. The Lord has been kind to us. Yes many of the other birds have died because of the famine. But we have been sustained."
"Oh! Again. I can't understand how you can say it is given by a God whom you have never seen. I wake up every early morning and strive hard to get the food for me and my family. How can you say it is a God who has given me."
"Dear, who can say that I have done it by my own might. Unless the Lord has given, how will we survive. You said our species has been blessed right? By whom? Shouldnt we also have died like the other birds or animals. Don't you think there are other birds who wake up early. Why, us Ravens alone was spared? I think there is a purpose that God wants with us. A plan that He has. Don't you think?"
"Hmm, that is true. May be there is a God. I can slightly understand what you are saying."
"Yeah good. May be we will talk about it later in the evening. It's time for me to fly."
"Yeah, i have been noticing that. Everyday after you have had your portion, I see that you take a large portion of meat and fly far away to some place. I don't know where you are up to. But i know you are taking it to someone far away. I know you are single and your parents have passed away. Who are you taking it to? Someone whom I know? Or is it someone that you have found to be worth this long flight? You know I have my family to provide. So i couldn't afford to follow you and see. Don't feel bad I noticed this. Infact all of us see it everyday "
"Ah! I know you all might have noticed this. But was not sure how to tell you all. One day i had a dream. An angel was telling me to take a large piece of meat everyday and fly this long distance to Kerieth Brook."
"What? You fly till Kerieth Brook? Oh my! That is quiet far. What is happening there. Who is there so significant that you would dare to?"
"Hold on let me complete. Yeah, so this angel tells me to fly till Kerieth Brook everyday to give meat to someone there."
"Who is that? And why everyday. I am pretty sure the large chunk of meat that you take, would suffice for a fowl, at least a family of it. Or a raven for a week. What is happening. Are you hiding someone. Oh sorry I interrupted. I got excited."
"I was also not very sure. But I felt urged to do this. So the first day I pick up a reasonable sized piece and started flying. Oh! Boy it was quiet tiring. I flew and flew. Wanted to sit in some branch or a piece of rock. But the excitement to know who it was pushed me along. Wanted to know who it was that the angel wanted to give. And meanwhile, i had my doubts too. Will there be someone. Will I be able to find it in the whole of the brook. Will it be a snake or something which was so hungry. That it would eat me instead of the meat. Is it just my thought. Will there actually be someone. Am i just a fool who risked everything because of the dream. Will I ever reach there. If I fall tired here. Will there be anyone to help me. If at all I reach there, where will I get some water. All the rivers in Israel is dried up. Will I have to fly back to find a cracked cistern to get atleast a drop of water. But something inside me urged me to keep flying. Something pushed me. After an hour of continuous flight, i finally got a glimpse of the brook. I was surprised as well as excited to see water flowing."
"Ah! So that's it. Fresh water every day. And you never told any of us. You are so mean. Ok; continue."
"It was not that which motivated me."
"Ok. Then what? What is it that you took the meat for?"
"From a distance i could see a man cuddled in the shade of drying up tree. Sitting in the banks of the brook."
"A man. Out of all species. You had got only a man? Who was it?"
"It was Elijah, the prophet."
"What? It's so ridiculous. Out of all species you got a man to provide for. And out of all men, you got this man who is responsible for all the famine? All of us are suffering because of this man. And he is enjoying there with meat everyday. I can't agree to this. If you were not my friend. I would have beaked you and killed you right now. Even now, I'm not sure whether I should tell it to our king."
"Please listen to me. The next day i had another dream. It was only light. But a very deep voice. Saying, "Mavi....., this is what I  want you to do. You have always sought me and lived with a thankful heart to me. I want you to provide for Elijah, everyday with meat and bread till i tell you." I had my own questions. Why me? Will I be able to do it everyday. I'm not very strong. What will others say. The voice continued, "Mavi, i love you and this is the purpose for you. Will you?" I replied, i am willing. And that is how I have been doing it all the more excited later own. Because the Prophet had no one else to talk to. So he would talk to me and tell more about this God. And tell about the reason for the famine. It is because of the sin of Israel. Not because Elijah was cruel. But Ahab and Jezbeel were leading Israel to further sin. Don't you see?"
"Hmm. I know you are a genuinely good raven. What you are saying, the puzzle is slowly getting unraveled. May be it is true. I hope Ahab and Jezbeel would repent and this famine would end. Would you ask the prophet?"
"He is the one who does the talking. I can only  understand. I will just listen. He teaches me to pray. May be we both can go together tomorrow. He will help us to pray to the God of Israel."
"Oh! Do you think i can fly that long? Will Elijah accept me? Will God accept? I'm not as holy as you, you know?"
"If it is God who has called. He will enable, Strugi. You are my best friend. You alone knows all my secrets. I am glad that you understood me."

That night Strugi went to sleep with lots of questions in his heart. Is Mavi crazy? Is he cooking up stories? Is he trying to trap me and take me to a vulture or something to kill me? Will he do like that? Slowly Strugi goes to oblivion but he was awakened by a very bright light and a deep voice calling his name, "Strugi............."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thresh

Micah:4:12 That He is gathering them together To be beaten up and trampled Like sheaved of grain on a threshing floor.  The Lord gathers together to beat and trample. Oh! Isn't it mean? How can a loving God allow this?  He is supposed to be our fortress and our refuge. He is expected to protect. He should in fact gather to bless. Not to trample. Not to beat up.  Oh! I am bleeding. Doesn't He see it? My tears have gone waste?  The query that came to the bard's mind, as he was pondering whether God is good or cruel, a blessing God or a naive entity is this - What is blessing? How do you define blessing?  Very often the word blessing is linked to - all would go well.  Well that is true in one angle. But the problem is man is tuned to think only finitely. All would definitely go well - for sure. God speaks about eternity. Not about the riches we inherit. But about character. About transforming into the image of Christ. About abundant life.  And this threshing is the

Name

But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved Joel:2:32 In His name there is salvation. And if you call on His name you will be saved for sure.  Jesus.  Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end.  In Him and through Him and for Him everything was created.  Son of God.  Son of David.  Root of Jesse.  Lion of Judah. The Lamb who was slain.  In His name there is freedom. In His name there is deliverance.  Why?  Because He alone has done the redemptive act on the cross. No other name could do that. Sinless perfect lamb of God became a sin offering instead of me.  He alone is worthy to do that. Therefore His name frees. His name delivers. His name saves. Jesus.  Image credit:   https://www.photoland.in/product/wood-arts/wooden-name-plate/personalized-name-board-name-plate-wooden-engraved-name-plate-design-10/

The Holy Temple

Micah:1:5 Where is the center of idolatory on Judah?  In Jerusalem; it's capital.  The very place which was supposed to be kept sacred and holy, has now been defiled and become the very center of desecration. Fully polluted and corrupted. Why should He not be wrathful?  The heart of holiness; which was supposed to be the throne of the most High God with all His richness and glory has been befouled and debased.  The very heart dear bard - which is supposed to be the temple of the most Holy God, what all do you entertain? Confines the king to a corner in your quiet times and church and bible study. As if you give charity and satisfy Him and then you do whatever you want, the rest of the time.  You think you can fool around with His holiness? This is one chant that goes up in heaven for eternity - Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty. Oh! Don't nullify it with your fancies.  He is serious about His holiness. And that is why sin had to be tackled with. Not just brushed

Keep your promise forever

Ps:146:6 He keeps every promise forever.  Everyone loves promises. It is even more beautiful when the promise is fulfilled.  God is a God of promises and He is faithful. What He promises He always fulfills. Not even one goes wayward.  There is no doubt about the general promises He makes in the Bible. One by one we see them fulfilled through the story of Israel and early church.  There are enough and more personal promises which are staring at you face on. He is faithful to fulfill all of them too forever. It is upto us to believe and live a peaceful life trusting in the One who called us. Rather than like a high tension wire, ready to snap.  Can we believe - He will take care. He is enough. He is sufficient. He is faithful. He never changes. He will not sleep nor will He slumber. He keeps His promises forever. Amen.  Image credit:  https://everydaypower.com/promise-quotes/

Delight

Ps:147:11 The Lord's delight is in those who fear Him If you delight in Him, He will delight in you. Oh! Is it like tit for tat?  No dear bard! He has already delighted in you. He has loved you while you were still His enemies. You are mine He declares. You are His signet ring, He proclaims.  Not because you fear Him. Not because He foreknew you would fear Him. But because He loves. Hosea was asked to marry a harlot and he continued to love her despite her unfaithfulness. Just like He continues to delight in you oh! Bard despite your persistance and adamancy. Oh! What love. Where else can you find such love.  Image credit:  https://butternutbakeryblog.com/moist-chocolate-cake/

When you don't have anything else to do......

In the fish's belly Jonah was there for three days and three nights. In that dark place, he could only look to God. He could not run away, which he was so specialized in. He couldn't do anything else which he was an expert. He couldn't do anything he wanted to desperately do. All he could do was to sit in God's presence.  Sometimes God places you in circumstances where you can only pray. You can do nothing else. And at that time, please pray. Do not try to do anything else. Even if you do not feel like praying, that is the time when you are supposed to. Helpless as you are, you can open up to your Father. Words do not matter at that time. Even a drop of tear is enough. You might not be a prolific pray-er. But remember the Father is always listening.  Image credit:  https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/man-praying-on-knees

RRRR

Obadiah 20-21 As Edom receives all punishments, Israel is blessed. Israel is chosen to come back from exile. From the ends of the earth, they are called back into God's bosom.  They -  Return Resettle Rescued Rule Not because they repented and came back to the Lord. Even before they repented, He paved the way back. The door was already kept open for coming back. The choice had to be made though for them to actually return, to resettle, to be rescued, to rule. They had to make that choice. Yet the road was already set to accept them back. There was no uncertainty whether God would allow.  The cross has already paved the way, the ship has already been set for return, for bringing them back. But I have to board the ship. If I don't, the loss is all mine. The ship with all its aboard passengers will sail to the  promised shore, for sure.  Jesus is calling- to return, to resettle, to be rescued and to rule. Will you accept?  Image credit:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/cr