Skip to main content

Novelette - Forgiven

Ephron was one of our great grandfathers. Who lived in Hebron even before Abraham came. He was part of the Hittite community (that we are) who lived in the land which overflows with milk and honey even before God of Israel promised it to His children. When Abraham’s wife died, being a sojourner, he was in want of a land or cave to bury his beloved wife. It was Ephron who sold his cave in Macpelah to him(though he was very much willing to give it away to his friend)

Esau, Abraham’s grandson married wives from our community later. 

We were so happy when the children of Israel came back from Egypt after years of torture. After all we both can trace our ancestry to Issac at least. We are sort of cousins. When they occupied the Canaan and we were in the border and God allocating the promised land as advised to Joshua, He was kind enough to include us as well. What a privilege?

The Hittite community has been blessed along side Israel. We have been also been having the share of blessings as God promised Israel. We have been in the military base camp ever since a kingdom was formed and my brother Uriah has been so ardent a servant of King David. He always says, God is with David. And David loves the Lord. He always seeks wisdom from God asking Him what to do. He always seeks what is in God’s heart. Uriah loved King David and the God of Israel.

Now the Israelites are having a war against Ammonites. They always had problems against them. Now my brother Uriah is out in the battlefield. Let King David rest in his palace, that’s what he opines. The Majesty has always been on the run, be it because of Saul or be it because of his son Absalom or be it because of his enemies. Sometime the King has to rest. Let him rest in his room. Me and Joab will go out for fighting. Probably that is why I had the burden to join my brother this time.

After a tiresome day of war with the Ammonites, one day Joab calls Uriah and says the king wanted to meet him. He was very excited. The king wanted to meet him personally. Seeing his excitement I decided to join him. We are called to his palace. The King calls up Uriah by name, runs out of the throne to hug him. I was awestruck. This king is indeed different. He knows his soldier by name, and greets him and hugs him even. When Uriah introduced me, I got a handshake too. WOW!

The Majesty asks Uriah about the war, how it progresses. My brother always ebbs with confidence( he says it is from the God of Israel. “If God be for us who can be against us “ he says). He says the Lord will finally hand them over to the king’s feet one day. 

Happy as he was, His majesty offers a day or two of rest for us. He said we have been tirelessly working for the King. Now is the time to take some rest. Oh my! What a sublime and delightful king he is. He is so concerned about his subjects’ rest. He even promised some wine for my brother to take home. Knowing my brother, I knew he would have been excited. He loved his wife Bathsheba so much. They were newly married just before the war of the Ammonites commenced. And every night in our tent in the battle field he would describe, how beautiful and gentle and generous she was. And that he has never seen a woman more beautiful than she is. Yes indeed she was beautiful, but his love to her had exaggerated his feeling I think. Rightfully a man in love is crazy. And I’m cent percent sure, she loved him too, beyond doubt. A man of his strength and physique was difficult to find, not only among the Hittites but among the Israelites too.

But I was taken aback by his response. Uriah said to me it’s not right to go back home and enjoy when your other brothers are fighting tooth and nail in the battle field. I wanted to convince him. Argued with him, that the king wanted him to take rest. I even said, even the king had his share of rest. Everybody had to rest. Younger brother to him, in my teens, I could neither convince him mentally or physically to come with me. I had decided anyway to go back to my father’s house. And have my choicest meal and wine. But he was sure he would sleep the night in the king’s palace entrance. 

Early next morning when I reached back the palace entrance, I could see from a distance the king was already up and talking to Uriah. The same old blabbering - the Lord and his armies are living in tents how could I sleep in the comfort of my home. But his majesty was continuing to convince him. My good Lord, why is the king so particular. If he doesn’t want to go home, why does he insist. Can a king be so excellent. But did I see him clenching his fist in between? 

Finally the king budges to Uriah’s adamancy and agrees that he can go back to the battlefield. Hmm even the ruler of the kingdom is not able to convince my brother. He should be really impressed with my brother’s unadulterated genuinity. 

Oh! how would Bathsheba feel when she realises the truth? I don’t know, may be  she would also understand. Whatever it is, I cannot agree to it!

Two days later the king arranges a banquet for us in the palace. What is happening, how can a king be so virtuous.  Oh boy there was a lot of wine. And Uriah got drunk. But I’ve never seen him like that. He was overtly conscious about not being drunk. But what happened today? Either he is overwhelming with emotions or somebody has tricked him?

The majesty steps into the corner of his room along with Uriah. I could hear from a distance, that the king was again trying to convince him to go back home. I feel there is something fishy. But Uriah later in the night says, he is sane and he can’t go back to his comforts when the ark and the armies are in the tent. Oh boy what a zealous and vehement man.

The next day we both go back to the battlefield. Joab comes in and tells that Uriah has been posted in the front lines. I was taken aback. Why should such a strong man be sent in front lines. That’s utter foolishness according to the ideals of war. But Uriah says if that is what the king desires I would be all the more glad to do it for the Lord.

I was posted to keep watch in the tower. I don’t know for what. Till yesterday I was always posted with my brother. But why today. Whatever it is, I could see from a distance the army advancing. And I could see my brother in the frontlines. Tall as he was his head was a foot above others.

Wait! What is happening? My brother and his horse are advancing. They are quiet close to the city. This is absurd! There could be shooting from the city walls. This is foolishness. This is ludicrous! Even a teenager could say this is unreasonable and preposterously insane.

And hold on! Why are others retreating now? Have they seen something behind? Were they alone instructed. No, stop. Someone tell Uriah too. He is just barging in as if he has shut his ears. No, wait brother. I can see from this far, on his face, the passion and vigour for the king and the Lord. 

Did I blink mine eye now? Wait! His horse is running hammock now. Takes a turn and she returns back. Oh my! There is no rider on her back now. Where is my brother? Joab! Azalel! Someone anyone. Uriah has fallen down.

With all my might I jumped down from the tower and run with all my strength. I’m not as strong as my brother. Gasping for breath full of sweat on my face and dust and dirt on my feet, I kept running to my big B. He has been my role model always in my life. All my life I wanted to emulate him. He has been an exceptional example. I have always been therewith him in this battle? Oh God please save him.

From a distance I could see a pool of dark brown sticky fluid around my brother. He was groaning. I gathered my last bit of energy to rush to him.

“Brother, Brother. I’m here. I’m here. Don’t worry. I’ll take you to the prophet. Don’t worry.”

“Long live the King” He said. “ may the Lord’s name be glorified” 

The arrow was stuck deep in his chest on the right side and to his shoulder. As I turned him to me, there was a gush of the same deep brown blood spurting out of his shoulder. And on my lap he breathed his last. I couldn’t see things clearly. The world was spinning around me. Were there people around? The horses had wings. There stood a mighty angelic being lifting Uriah and taking him in his arms and going higher and higher. But I could still see him in my lap. Then everything became dark for me. And all I could remember was a loud thud.

What I remember next is that I’m in the comforts of my father’s couch. Long gone is the dust and dirt and sweat. Now am in my fathers cosy futon. With all aches and pains, I got up from the bed and walk around. In the corner of one room I could see my aged father coming to realisation that his strong aide has been faded away. My mother tired of being berserk is lying down on the floor wrapped in rugs. In the other room is sweet Bathsheba,with tear stained eyes, uncombed hair and having lost all hope. What would she do now? Who would provide her? She in all her despondency and hopelessness looked beautiful still. I would have been glad to take her as my wife and care for her as my responsibility to my big brother if I were an Israelite. But that doesn’t happen in our culture. She stays a widow all her life, as a symbol of hopelessness.

There is huge hush outside the house now. People are cheering for someone. Horses neigh and the sound of the wheels of chariot coming to a halt. Now who would want to mourn for Uriah now! Whoever it is, they have just come to express their external grief. His absence is our loss alone!

My close friend Azalel rushes in to my room and says the king is here. I still couldn’t believe my ears. You mean the Majesty King David? What is happening? He is such a magnanimous King. Will he really go personally to attend to each of his soldier’s family? What a lion hearted king?

David speaks to my father for sometime. Father with his still tear stained eyes was trying to convince him that it is not needed. What?i don’t know.

King folds his hands and requests. This is getting on my nerves. Finally my father agrees. He slowly moves close to my mother. With tear filled eyes which were also gleaming with astonishment and startle raises her hands to her ever loving Father God with gratitude. 

Father comes to me and said that King David is willing to take Bathsheba as his wife. I was flabbergasted. He is indeed a benevolent and kind hearted king, as my brother always believed. He is indeed a man after God’s own heart. Even I couldn’t stop my hands from raising in praise to the Lord of Israel of my mother for his mercy. Though the loss is ours, there is now hope for Bathsheba.

Slowly My mind was being settled. Slowly the ship being tossed in rough seas was in still waters. Though I miss my big brother, the angel I saw was an assurance that Uriah was in God’s hands. And I was thankful to God that Things are fine with Bathsheba now and she would be a wonderful queen. 

One day a prophet called Nathan came to meet me in my home. He said he wanted me to go with him to meet King David. I thought it would be nice as I could see Bathsheba too. 

Nathan calls in for an audience with King David. It was only me and Nathan and David in the throne room. Nathan tells of a story of a man who had many sheep and just because he did not want to kill his own sheep when visitors came to his house, this rich man stole a sheep of a poor neighbour of his, who had only one. Boy, the rich are always cruel I felt. Just as I expected, the righteous king jumps out of the throne, fuming with rage and swears by the name of the Lord that he would punish this rich man. Yes definitely that man deserves nothing but the rage of the king. That is why they call him a right king.. Well deserved.


Nathan extremely calm, says a roaring statement and unleashes the plot that David had planned to kill Uriah to gain Bathsheba.

I felt my world is falling apart. I felt it would have been better for the palace to fall on me rather than I would hear this story of treachery. Is this how the righteous king would react to the devotion my brother had to him? How could he do this and how could he lust on my own sister. Oh everything was planned to gain her. If I had my sword, I would have pierced it into the very place where I plucked out arrows from my dear brother. Fuming with anger and rage, I see David lying down prostrate with loud wails of ABBA Father. No Lord he deserves no pardon. The wails could be heard echoing from the walls. I thought the Lord wouldn’t hear his repentance and the cry was reflecting back. The traitor continued to cry “ wash me clean of my guilt”. No Lord he deserves no forgiveness. He deserves punishment. 

“Against you, you alone have I sinned” No it was against my family. It was against our community. It was against my brother, who loved him so dearly. It was against my sister.

“Do not banish me from your presence” Yes that is what he rightly deserves Lord. If you are a righteous judge, send him to abyss.

“Restore unto me the joy of your salvation and renew a right spirit within me”. Hold on viper, do you think your god(or rather my God) will do it? Don’t fall in for vain believes. The Lord will indeed strip you naked and bear you clean before others. And see who will be the king. A more righteous and deserving person than you.

The king gets up and apologises to us. I wanted to say. “ you renegade, you really think the prophet will forgive? The righteous God would handle this injustice and treachery?”

I was shocked to hear Nathan’s response. “The Lord has forgiven” and he walks straight back.

What about justice?

What about law enforcement?

What about the truth?

Does Lord really not care of poor people like us? Does he only care about kings and Lords and prophets?

What will my father do when he realises the truth. The Hittite community will create havoc in the palace. 

What will I do knowing the truth of treachery and I have been able to do nothing.

I couldn’t open my mouth and ask Nathan. He was indeed a powerful prophet. I couldn’t argue with him, definitely. What if he curses me out of his anger. And within a span of one month my father would lose both his sons.

I went back to my room straightaway, couldn’t open my mouth and talk to my father nor my mother. I just jammed my door shut and lied down thinking, what’s happening.  Filled with tiredness and grief, I slipped into oblivion.

There I was again standing in the battlefield with my dear brother on my lap, still fresh blood coming out of his chest. He has almost breathed his last. Suddenly he opens his very own eyes. And calls me by the very name he calls me when he is filled with compassion and love to his younger brother. He says, “ Dear one I have never done anything treacherous, but I have been dealt treacherously” 

“Yes brother” I said “ and don’t worry I will avenge”

“No” he said. “ The Lord wants you to forgive as well”

“No I can’t”. “ He deserves punishment for the wrong he has done “

“The Lord has forgiven”

“ I’m in the right place where I always wanted to be dear brother”. He said.

“ I always wanted to be in His bosom. Oh how soothing it is. This is where I’m meant to be- for eternity”

I couldnt say a word.

“There is much more in the life that is in that world. Things are temporary there, here there is abundance of life. The world teaches to avenge. The world above teaches to forgive. To love your very own enemy.”

What could I say now? Uriah was always right?

“Forgiveness requires a lot of courage and strength. Dear one, God is love and knowing Him would help you to forgive to those who did wrong to us”

I woke up from sleep. The Lord wants me to forgive my brother’s murderer. The Lord wants me to forgive the treachery done to me. Uriah says there is freedom.

There is huge twitch in my heart to go and tell David. I decide to run back to the palace and asks for an appointment with the king. King as despondent as he is comes to face me with an apology. I told him the words which I thought I never had the strength to tell. “ I forgive you”


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thresh

Micah:4:12 That He is gathering them together To be beaten up and trampled Like sheaved of grain on a threshing floor.  The Lord gathers together to beat and trample. Oh! Isn't it mean? How can a loving God allow this?  He is supposed to be our fortress and our refuge. He is expected to protect. He should in fact gather to bless. Not to trample. Not to beat up.  Oh! I am bleeding. Doesn't He see it? My tears have gone waste?  The query that came to the bard's mind, as he was pondering whether God is good or cruel, a blessing God or a naive entity is this - What is blessing? How do you define blessing?  Very often the word blessing is linked to - all would go well.  Well that is true in one angle. But the problem is man is tuned to think only finitely. All would definitely go well - for sure. God speaks about eternity. Not about the riches we inherit. But about character. About transforming into the image of Christ. About abundant life.  And this threshing is the

Name

But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved Joel:2:32 In His name there is salvation. And if you call on His name you will be saved for sure.  Jesus.  Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end.  In Him and through Him and for Him everything was created.  Son of God.  Son of David.  Root of Jesse.  Lion of Judah. The Lamb who was slain.  In His name there is freedom. In His name there is deliverance.  Why?  Because He alone has done the redemptive act on the cross. No other name could do that. Sinless perfect lamb of God became a sin offering instead of me.  He alone is worthy to do that. Therefore His name frees. His name delivers. His name saves. Jesus.  Image credit:   https://www.photoland.in/product/wood-arts/wooden-name-plate/personalized-name-board-name-plate-wooden-engraved-name-plate-design-10/

The Holy Temple

Micah:1:5 Where is the center of idolatory on Judah?  In Jerusalem; it's capital.  The very place which was supposed to be kept sacred and holy, has now been defiled and become the very center of desecration. Fully polluted and corrupted. Why should He not be wrathful?  The heart of holiness; which was supposed to be the throne of the most High God with all His richness and glory has been befouled and debased.  The very heart dear bard - which is supposed to be the temple of the most Holy God, what all do you entertain? Confines the king to a corner in your quiet times and church and bible study. As if you give charity and satisfy Him and then you do whatever you want, the rest of the time.  You think you can fool around with His holiness? This is one chant that goes up in heaven for eternity - Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord Almighty. Oh! Don't nullify it with your fancies.  He is serious about His holiness. And that is why sin had to be tackled with. Not just brushed

Keep your promise forever

Ps:146:6 He keeps every promise forever.  Everyone loves promises. It is even more beautiful when the promise is fulfilled.  God is a God of promises and He is faithful. What He promises He always fulfills. Not even one goes wayward.  There is no doubt about the general promises He makes in the Bible. One by one we see them fulfilled through the story of Israel and early church.  There are enough and more personal promises which are staring at you face on. He is faithful to fulfill all of them too forever. It is upto us to believe and live a peaceful life trusting in the One who called us. Rather than like a high tension wire, ready to snap.  Can we believe - He will take care. He is enough. He is sufficient. He is faithful. He never changes. He will not sleep nor will He slumber. He keeps His promises forever. Amen.  Image credit:  https://everydaypower.com/promise-quotes/

Delight

Ps:147:11 The Lord's delight is in those who fear Him If you delight in Him, He will delight in you. Oh! Is it like tit for tat?  No dear bard! He has already delighted in you. He has loved you while you were still His enemies. You are mine He declares. You are His signet ring, He proclaims.  Not because you fear Him. Not because He foreknew you would fear Him. But because He loves. Hosea was asked to marry a harlot and he continued to love her despite her unfaithfulness. Just like He continues to delight in you oh! Bard despite your persistance and adamancy. Oh! What love. Where else can you find such love.  Image credit:  https://butternutbakeryblog.com/moist-chocolate-cake/

When you don't have anything else to do......

In the fish's belly Jonah was there for three days and three nights. In that dark place, he could only look to God. He could not run away, which he was so specialized in. He couldn't do anything else which he was an expert. He couldn't do anything he wanted to desperately do. All he could do was to sit in God's presence.  Sometimes God places you in circumstances where you can only pray. You can do nothing else. And at that time, please pray. Do not try to do anything else. Even if you do not feel like praying, that is the time when you are supposed to. Helpless as you are, you can open up to your Father. Words do not matter at that time. Even a drop of tear is enough. You might not be a prolific pray-er. But remember the Father is always listening.  Image credit:  https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/man-praying-on-knees

RRRR

Obadiah 20-21 As Edom receives all punishments, Israel is blessed. Israel is chosen to come back from exile. From the ends of the earth, they are called back into God's bosom.  They -  Return Resettle Rescued Rule Not because they repented and came back to the Lord. Even before they repented, He paved the way back. The door was already kept open for coming back. The choice had to be made though for them to actually return, to resettle, to be rescued, to rule. They had to make that choice. Yet the road was already set to accept them back. There was no uncertainty whether God would allow.  The cross has already paved the way, the ship has already been set for return, for bringing them back. But I have to board the ship. If I don't, the loss is all mine. The ship with all its aboard passengers will sail to the  promised shore, for sure.  Jesus is calling- to return, to resettle, to be rescued and to rule. Will you accept?  Image credit:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/cr